miércoles, 9 de diciembre de 2009

La Lavaguardia

3 Articles from Lavaguardia-I decided to put my Spanish reading skills to the test. I did surprisingly better than I thought I would :)

November 24th Edition.


International-

Barack Obama, and the Indian Prime Minister Met in Washington DC, agreed to intensify cooperation between their countries in areas such as climate change or the fight against terrorism. Obama said the United States and India are natural allies and added that "both recognize that our primary objective is to achieve peace and security for all peoples"

I think It's interesting to see the US turn to countries such as India, one of the most rapidly developing countries in the world for cooperation. I guess it is a smart political move because India is a rapidly growing country who could pose a great threat one day. One thing that I think both the US and India need to sit down and discuss is their pollution and environmental policies. Maybe they should take a little trip to Copenhagen. However, with recent news I really think that they sat down to discuss that they were going to refuse to sign the Copenhagen Climate change policies along with China. I just don't understand why they have to be the "difficult" and "stubborn" ones. So go ahead China, US and India ruin our environment !

Local-article taken from Lavanguardia on Nov. 24th

6 Catalan Universities are competing for the international excellence award. 5 of the universities are public and 1 is private. They receive public funds which boost their research and teaching methods. The international jury will decide on Tuesday who the winner is.

-I think this is great thing for Catalan pride and a great way to increase emphasis on education and local funding for schools. This is possible an idea that the United States should pick up on. If schools and universities whether they may be public or private had an incentive to prepare and educate their students to the best of their ability maybe students would receive a better education and opportunities. I really believe that education is one of the most important issues in our political system today. Without an education the youth can never succeed and hold the tools they need to excel and lead our country in the future.

Regional

The Prime Minister, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, has finally recognized that the labor market needs reform. With the economical recession and real estate industry down. The objective is to give more leeway for companies to adjust their working hours and wages.

It's very different for me to compare the way that employment and wages work in the States vs. the way the work in Spain. It blows my mind that when you fire an employee you are required to pay them a salary. I know that the United States is currently struggling with low unemployment levels and I really am at a lack for words for an appropriate

solution. Hopefully, the economy will pick up if not I fear for myself that I may not be able to enter the job market after I graduate from college.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario