jueves, 10 de diciembre de 2009

Riding on the Metro Train


L7 Brown line. Av Tibidabo

mood: defeated,

isolated YET UPLIFTED

I hate to say this but I think one of the places that I have learned the most is by simply riding on the metro! Not only is the convenient but also it is exponentially better than any public transportation I have ever seen in the United States. Not that the United States doesn’t have a public transportation but it simply is not as extensive and accessible. When I first came to Barcelona I quickly became familiar with the metro. I bought a T-joven and soon realized that the T-joven would become my best friend! I take the metro everyday for 20 minutes to and from school. Along my journeys around the city I have gotten the opportunity to observe, talk and interact with many Catalans. Whether I may strike up a conversation with the people sitting next to me or just simply sit back and observe. I have become very familiar with the Catalan language in the metro. I try and decipher what people are saying but I am always content with just observing peoples facial expressions. I have also been exposed to the typical style and clothes that many Catalans wear. As well, as family dynamics including how parents talk to their children and interact. I have also had a few instances where Catalan men will try and approach and talk to me. I find it way more aggressive than the U.S. however; I have grown to deal with it. Many times I don’t even realize how exciting it is to ride the metro because if you look and listen closing there is always something new to see. One instance on the metro I experienced the most heart warming Catalan hospitality I have ever experienced in my life. I was having a HORRIBLE day, everything seemed like it was going wrong. I was 6,000 miles away from home and never felt so far away and alone in my life. I was looking out the window listening to my ipod with tears running down my face. It was about 8 o’clock at night and woman came over and sat next to me. She began speaking Catalan to me and soon she realized I did not understand. She then did something heartwarming and amazing. She just stop talking, read my facial expression and put her arms around and me and hugged me. Eventually, I found out she spoke English and we chatted and made me feel significantly better. However, in that moment I don’t think I could have ask for anything more. Even though I felt so isolated and alone and separated from everyone around me there is no language of love. Catalonia really was there for me in a way I could have never expected. I am almost crying writing this journal entry. I will never forget my Catalan hug.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario